Exploring Creation with Biology Unit Study
This unit study, Exploring Creation with Biology, is based on the 2nd Edition of Exploring Creation with Biology by Wile and Durnell. I am in the process of creating this unit as I teach Biology at Cornerstone Tutorial Center. I will add to this unit throughout the school year.
This unit is suited for elementary and middle school children and has been created for families to use while their high school student is using the textbook. Pick and choose activiites according to interest and abilities. You are welcome to use this unit free of charge, but please do not copy and post it to any website. You are welcome to link to it.
Module 1: Classification (Sept. 4-13)
Topics explored: Herbivores, Carnivores, Omnivores, producers, consumers, decomposers, scientific method, Classification (Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species), Carolus Linnaeus, John Needham (Spontaneous generation).
Books to Read:
- The Kingdoms of Life: Classification (Come Learn with Me) by Bridget Anderson
- Cells (Science Concepts) by Alvin Silverstein
- What is a Carnivore by Bobbie Kalman
- What is a Herbivore by Bobbie Kalman
- What is an Omnivore by Bobbie Kalman
- Classification Song.
- Classifying Critters.
- Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic cells video and quiz.
- Protists Video and Quiz.
- Bacteria video and quiz.
- Photosynthesis and respiration video and quiz.
- Classification Web-quest.
- Cells Alive.
Activities to Do:
- Dinnertime for animals worksheet.
- Producer, consumer, and decomposer game.
- Producer, consumer, and decomposer worksheet.
- Visit the Tulsa Garden Center and learn about Carl Linnaeus.
- Make a model of a cell with jello.
- Make a drawing of cells
- Color and label cell worksheet
- Classify a variety of items in more than one way.
- Graphic Organizer for Classification.
- Graphic Organizer for Classification 2.
- Using a collection of buttons, coins, or other small objects, sort and classify by size, shape, color, etc.
Using the Famous Person Report Form, research and write a report on Carolus Linnaeus.
Module 2: Kingdom Monera (October)